Disaster planning and preparedness training for companion and large animals can be a challenge to develop, assess and practice without the background and experience in disaster animal response, not to mention the time restraints caused by other daily responsibilities. After years of training which often results in more questions than answers, I realized there was a need for the next step in being able to provide for the people and animals affected by a disaster. As a result, my goal is to help people, agencies, shelters, emergency management or anyone else who is responsible for any part of assisting the people and animals during a disaster.
- Large and companion animal disaster planning for pre-evacuation, transporting, rescue and sheltering.
- Assessment of current large and companion animal disaster plan.
- Creation of standard operating procedures for the disaster shelter.
- Training needed to implement the plans.
- Disaster planning for your organization and community.
- Disaster sheltering facility evaluation, set-up and operation.
- Dog and cat behavior and handling as it relates to disaster response and sheltering operations.
- Equine behavior and handling as it relates to disaster response and sheltering operations.
- If you don’t see what you are looking for I also develop specialized training for your specific needs.
- Collaborate with the local jurisdiction with disaster response needs in the shelter or the field:
- Assist with shelter operations
- Shelter supervisor advisor to assist or train local leadership
- Shelter supervisor to setup and run the operation
- Assist with field operations
- Other possibilities as needed